Friday, July 27, 2012

Texas' War on Women

I don't understand it, I really don't. I just can't grasp the logic behind denying low-income women the ability to acquire contraception and treatment for STDs along with routine wellness and cancer screenings. Well, there is no logic, that's the problem. The attempts of Texas right-wingers to ban a necessary and beneficial program to women are simply based off of "strong Christian morals" and political agendas. At least it seems that way, in my humble opinion.

The Texas Women's Health Program is a (mostly) federally funded program through Medicaid that provides about 130,000 low-income women with contraceptives, wellness screenings, and other care they may need in the state of Texas. There are eight Planned Parenthoods that participate in this program, and they account for about 40 percent of the services provided to these women. It is important to note that NONE of these Planned Parenthoods offer abortions. However in March of this year, Texas lost all Medicaid funding for women's health and family planning due to the implementation of a new law excluding Planned Parenthood from the program. And this was simply due to the fact that the Planned Parenthood program has affiliations with clinics that do provide abortions.

As a young, single, female college student I find this incredibly unsettling. I know what it's like to struggle financially, and not have the means or resources to be able to seek proper routine medical care. It's stressful to say the least, trust me. I realize that 130,000 women may not seem like a lot in a gigantic state like Texas, but that is 130,000 lives that will be changed, and not for the better due to them not being able to access birth control or health screenings. I understand that this is, for the most part, a far right, Conservative Christian state. I knew that when I moved here. But denying tens of thousands of women the ability to seek medical care simply because those providers may or may not have an association with an abortion clinic is ridiculous to me. Look, we all know Texas is a pro-life state, we get it. No one is asking to make it possible to have an abortion at your neighborhood Walgreens. We, like every other American I'm sure, just want access to some decent medical care. Is that so much to ask? Texas is already the state with the highest percentage of uninsured residents, and it's a sad sad day to me when we blatantly continue to increase that number.

1 comment:

  1. I found Alec's Texas Blog's post on July 27, 2012 titled, "Texas' War on Women," to be very passionate due to her personal affiliation with the group of women that are affected by Texas choosing to cut funding for Planned Parenthood programs. Texas has long been a pro-life state due to its strong conservative ties. Alec shows her understanding of Texas' political culture when she says, "I understand that this is, for the most part, a far right, Conservative Christian state. I knew that when I moved here." However, she makes a very good arguement when she says, "But denying tens of thousands of women the ability to seek medical care simply because those providers may or may not have an association with an abortion clinic is ridiculous to me." It really is a travesty that such matters that affect thousands of women in Texas are being decided by people who do not face the same difficulties. I agree with Alec that Christian groups are inconsiderate when they would rather cut the programs that provide lower income women health benefits like cancer screenings, birth control, and health exams to promote their own political agendas. Alec provides good evidence for her point of view. Her evidence has striking statistic numbers such as 130,000 women being affected by these cuts. Alec makes a good point in that she and other lower income women deserve the necessary health care that women need. By cutting the funding for these health programs, conservative Christians are sending a negative message that only women who are financially stable deserve to be healthy. Overall, I found Alec's post to be very insightful and sincere on her feelings towards these health cuts targeting low income women. She provides sufficient evidence supporting her claims and makes logical arguments. Though I am a male, I can still understand the frustration and feeling of isolation that Texas law makers are inflicting on these women.

    ReplyDelete