Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Who you callin' a "numb nuts" Louie Gohmert?!

Lately, I have been finding myself reading more and more posts off of the blog, Juanita Jean's. I absolutely love it! Not only are the posts on the blog site cleverly written, but they also refer to interesting and important political issues circulating around Texas state and local government. The blogger herself is not a political scientist by any means, she is a hairdresser! But she brings up valid points, and in my opinion, a great ideology. She also seems to have a relatively large following.  I recently read a post titled, "Louie! No More Nice Juanita. Don't Make Me Call the Flying Monkeys. Seriously" and just had to share my thoughts on it.

The post is in regards to recent comments made by Texas Congressman Louie Gohmert calling Senator John McCain a "numb nuts" and also suggesting he has been influenced by the Muslim Brotherhood. McCain was under fire by Gohmert for criticizing him, and a small group of other Republicans, who are demanding that a senior aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton be investigated for having possible ties to the Muslim Brotherhood.

What I really appreciated about this post by Juanita Jean's was that she mentioned the fact that Congressman Gohmert will be attending a magic show on August 3rd at his church, Green Acres Baptist Church, in Tyler, Texas. While there was a lot of sarcasm present in her writing, it was obvious to me that she was pointing out the apparent hypocrisy here. Isn't magic shunned by most fundamental church organizations? So wouldn't that mean that Gohmert is practicing or at least encouraging the devil's work? I get her logic. It makes sense to me.

I know this post wasn't directly related to Texas state and local government, but the fact that this was one of our state's own Congressman making these comments was just a little disconcerting to me. I would like to think of Texas as being more progressive and open-minded than this, but maybe we just aren't there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment