Friday, August 10, 2012

Maybe We Should Put a Cap on It?

I recently read an article in the Austin American Statesman about a local private Christian school that is fixing to undergo an $18 million expansion project. This project consists of building an entirely new, three-story high school, expanded parking, and a multi-use athletic field. I have to say this whole thing sickens me a little bit. $18 million is a lot to drop on an expansion project, and while I know this money is coming from loans and family donations, it still seems like it ought to be going elsewhere. Now, I'm fairly certain as to why well-off families would want to send their children to private schools. I would assume that students face less distractions at private schools, and have more one-on-one time and interaction with teachers. I also know that the athletics tend to be better at private schools (and let's face it, we are in Texas!), but I don't know if I could stomach supporting and sending my child to a school that requires this much money to do a little expanding. Especially now, with the Texas economy in such bad shape, and funding for public education on the chopping block, it just seems wrong to me.

I would never expect a private organization like this to donate money to something like public education, partly because it's competition and mostly because the public school system isn't pushing the same sort of ideology it is. But I think it would be appropriate for the state government to step in and maybe put a limit on how much money can be spent on a "simple" expansion project like this, at least for things like education. It just doesn't seem fair, and while I probably sound like a whiny child right now, it IS important to be fair when it comes to education. So, I think it's time to start focusing the money on bigger, and better things. Like promoting equal education for all children, not just the rich ones. Because, after all, aren't all children equal and deserving in the eyes of God?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is my response to your blog! http://texastiffany.blogspot.com/2012/08/private-school-funding.html

    ReplyDelete